Friday, November 6, 2015

THE CHURCH OF TYPE....................FROM THE SOUTH TO SANTA MONICA

THE CHURCH OF TYPE YA'LL
                   
 
        Sometimes the best move is too just leave. Pick yourself up and head for uncharted territory. The difficulty is in realizing your dilemma, like the frog in hot water not realizing you’re being boiled alive. This probably happens more often than you think. Blessed are those with insight into their station. Not everyone is able to read the cards on the table, fold their hand, and move on with it. Picking up your life and moving on is no mean feat. It requires a great deal of sacrifice, loss, and loads of self-esteem. My friend, Kevin Bradley did this. He left a successful business in Knoxville and set out for the uncharted lands of the West. If Los Angeles is the city of angels then Santa Monica is the Valley of the up and coming, the soon to be. Pico Boulevard in particular contains a bizarre assortment of businesses and activities. All of which is a feast for the imagination. Kevin has a unique ability to find original and authentic urban cultural landscapes. He did it in downtown Knoxville (before there was such a thing) and he’s done it again in Santa Monica. This area has been thriving for some time, but the presence of the Church of Type adds significantly to its bohemian atmosphere. 

          I’ve known Kevin since my glory days in Knoxxxville, land of vice – land of opportunity.  The year was 1998, and I, Garry W. Shores was living in Fort Sanders, a magnificent college ghetto. I had a humble apartment at 1537 Laurel Avenue. A large white and yellow wedding cake styled Victorian home built in late 1800’s. I lived out back in the carriage house while attending the University. It was filled with rowdies, college students, bands, and other such ne’er do wells. Living above us all was Mark Sarhoff, his wife my landlord, and he. Well he was a legend in the making. Mark owned a row of four or five buildings on Jackson Avenue. The problem was they were in deplorable condition. He showed me around, telling me I could live in one, but I couldn’t tell anyone, or have visitors as nothing was up to code, and people up the hill were hitting golf balls through the windows. I passed on the offer, but then he got me into the carriage house, and I started doing odd jobs for “the man”. He had me driving up and down the interstate in the middle of the night looking for Orange Barrels and Traffic Cones for his construction projects. I managed his parking lots till 4AM on the weekends. I sold cars, and did some insurance work for him. It was more like an underworld career than just a job. Weekends at four in the morning were spent huddled over kaa-bobs and shwarma’s at the Ali Baba Deli on Kingston Pike. Me, Mark, and my squeeze Dea, laughing and cutting up at four in the morning at a Middle Eastern deli in Knoxville, chugging beers in the parking lot. Life was strange.

One morning in around 1998 or there abouts, I awoke to find a street fair in progress, rising with difficulty, my head still thick with libations from the previous night’s I rallied, and out I went to the “Fair”. It was a typical Fort Sanders event. People shuffling around nursing hang-overs or drinking Bloody Mary’s a few tables set up with hippies selling hemp jewelry and glass pipes. The odd skate-boarder, a few randoms standing around smoking cigarettes, all standing around waiting for something to happen that never will. A few tents lined the street, to hawk their varied wares.  Armed with only a cup of coffee in hand, I ventured forth into the unknown. It was at this “Fair” I met Kevin and his Yee-Haw Industrial Letterpress. From that moment, I was on board. I stood transfixed and transcended, like Paul of Tarsus struck blind on the road to Galilee I was hit with the great and mighty thunderclap of Industrial Letterpress. The weather was cloudy, overcast but not too cold or windy. Kevin had just bought the infamous building on Gay Street. I used to take naps on the couch in the display window, next to the giant Piggly Wiggly Head. I know, it makes no sense. Kevin had a couch in the display window an old Victorian Couch with the stuffing coming out and it smelled like your grandma, but it was I a really long couch and sleeping on it was pretty nice.

          Soon, I began pulling down letterpress posters wherever I found them. I still have a few from those days. My favorite all time is the haunted pie social at the 11th Street Espresso House. I acquired this one from the “Old Food Co-op” on Broadway. At the old food co-op you could hang out on the front bench and have a cold one with whoever was on break, like my good friend Sandi Walker. On the back of the 11th Street Espresso House Poster it says “Save for Lark” then next to it is written, “Claimed by Garry W. Shores”. Possession is 9/10 the law my friends, my Dad taught me that. It reminds me of better, simpler times. They weren’t innocent by any stretch, but there was much less worry than there is now. Everyone didn’t have a cell phone, the internet hadn’t gotten so dumb, wireless didn’t exist (except for clunky phones), and nobody was “jihading” anybody. We were still fighting in places, but folks weren’t getting their heads sawed off at the grocery store either. They were good times.

          However, nothing stays the same, stagnation is inevitable and if we don’t keep on trucking then we’re done for. For good reason Kevin needed to move on, and he did. To Santa Monica California, and he has made it his own. Rising from the ashes like the phoenix of old - his creation, the mighty ziggurat of communication the indomitable CHURCH OF TYPE is the gold standard by which all letterpress is measured. I was in California, doing some training with the Navy, and I hadn’t seen Kevin in some time. We reconnected via social media, as people are want to do in the modern age. I found Pico Boulevard, Santa Monica. This Temple of Typeface is hard to miss, and all day I witnessed a stream of parishioners, penitents, and reprobates coming and going as the spirit took them. The space, though smaller is filled with old memories, and shelf upon shelf of ancient letterpress type. Kevin has the largest letterpress in the Los Angeles area and is making good use of it. I arrived Saturday morning, first thing after catching up we meet the neighbors. Pastry Chefs! They make the best croissants and everything else that’s yummy. His other neighbor is a Vietnamese lady that serves up Asian delights for lunch. Across the street is Trader Joes.

          The Church of Type is filled with Art, Letterpress taken to newer and more exalted heights of creativity and inventiveness. The Robot Series! The Robot Series breaks into the building blocks of type. Turning them literally into the circuitry boards of machinery creating a combination of robotic-mechanized-monster-machines that will expand your notions, and make you feel childlike with wonder once more. Vibrant hues, poetry, and robotic imagery combine to challenge your imagination. The robotic nuance has been advanced ten-fold. They speak, with magic eyes – it’s hard to believe two dimensions can move in such a manner. The Robots are on the whirly-gig march, it’s time to join their parade. Destructor, Voltor, Lovtron, and Transistor accept no substitutes, these are 100% original and 110% Kevin Bradley at his finest. Destined for fame and good fortune get yours today! Words are just words, to truly appreciate Church of Type seeing is believing, and you won’t believe your eyes brothers and sisters when you feast your eyes on the Robotic Mayhem of Pico Boulevard.

It lunch time so me, Kevin, and his intern jump into my tiny-small car and head out he gives directions. I follow directions. We go to the Apple Pan and order burgers, thick Spanish accents, “Do you know what you want?” I order a burger, this place is famous for its burgers. The Apple Pan is a classic LA Diner. It’s owned and operated by some 2nd and 3rd generation Mexican-Americans, and to say the place is crowded and vibrant would actually be an understatement. A “U-Shaped” Linoleum countertop with the masses crammed elbow to elbow and line almost out the door. The humidity is palpable there’s no AC in LA it’s California weather, which is typically low on the humidity and filled with cool breezes, but not today. The lady sitting next to me, starts talking me up. We get on well, she’s a music teacher and singer. For some reason, she keeps telling me how married she is. I share my pie with her. She orders me a to go pie, all for me. It’s not weird, I’m in California land of the strange. Meanwhile back at the shop………………..

The Church of Type - Brothers and sister is worthy of praise and stands high on the mountain. Guaranteed to Illuminate, Educate, and provide Revelations deeper understanding of the profound questions that vex mankind. To Paraphrase Mr. Kevin Bradley, “When in doubt make art, be nice to people, and you’ll be just fine.”  

 
THE CHURCH OF TYPE
                        3215 PICO BOULEVARD SANTA MONICA
                                                            CALIFORNIA
                                          310-310-3951
                                               WWW.CHURCHOFTYPE.COM
                                      CHURCHOFTYPE@GMAIL.COM
                            all photos used with the kind permission of K. Bradley





No comments:

Post a Comment